paradise • a pokémon adventure
cbox

welcome

Established in July 2014, Paradise is a pokémon role-play community that’s all about getting back to the basics. With a simplified training system, we focus more on writing than grinding for levels. Join us today and begin your adventure in the Eden region!

information

Getting Started Setting Information Trainer Classes Game Mechanics Field Guide Eden League Rules & FAQ

updates

October 15 – It's that time again, folks! The annual Harvest Festival has begun in Wisteria Town, and everyone is getting into the Halloween spirit. Characters participating in the event are eligible for some sweet treats, so be sure to get in on the celebrations~!

shortcuts

Training Log Wild Encounters Breeding Records Adoption Center Face Claims Player Directory Open Threads

Reply   New Topic   New Poll   

[Gym] Here There Be Dragons
Vexel Mitore
 Posted: 8/5/17, 04:28 pm
Sev
281 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Vex entered the cool quiet of the library, a place he'd spent a good deal of time the past couple days as he read up on the different types of pokemon the Wisteria Gym specialized in. He wanted to have some idea of what they were weak to and what he could expect from whatever he met once the battle began. He was fairly confident he could take out the dragon type pokemon fairly easily if he played his cards right. The Ghost and Fairy types however, he wasn't as confident about. But without going well outside his preferred type specialties and catching pokemon he'd likely only use in this gym battle and then trade, he was as prepared as he was going to be. At least he wasn't at a distinct disadvantage here like he would be at the Hibiscus Gym. As long as he was careful about which pokemon he used and didn't encounter any snags that would disrupt his strategies, he should be just fine.

He bypassed the shelves of books and headed for the large doorway at the back, beyond which he knew the battlefield, and his third gym challenge, awaited. He wasn't sure if he should enter or wait to be greeted by the gym leader before doing so. Deciding it was best to play it safe, Vex waited at the door, blue eyes scanning the library for signs of movement as he did so. "I'm here to challenge the leader of the Wisteria Gym." As far as he could tell, he was alone in the library so he didn't hesitate to call out in case his arrival had been missed.

Daniel Gaitley
PM   
^
Daniel Gaitley
 Posted: 8/6/17, 08:15 am
Icarus
386 posts
Gym Leader

Summoned by a clear, confident call, Dan abandoned the grimoire he was studying and ascended the stairs to defend the Grimoire Badge that someone was here to claim. Something familiar struck him about that voice, and Dan's heart pulled him upwards as if to meet a brother he'd never known before. He moved swiftly from his basement study up into the sunlit library, where warmth shone down through the magnificent windows. Striding through several compact bookshelves, Dan came out into the central clearing, where he did indeed find a familiar man standing at the threshold between the library and arena.

"Vexel!" Dan called out warmly, remembering the man he'd met on his previous airborne journey. It seemed that fate knew these two had more to learn from each other. Dan regretted how duty pulled him away from Vexel in their first meeting, even though it felt to him like there was much more they had in common than their short brush against each other revealed. It was a rare moment in which one looked into the eyes of another and recognised the potential to become sharpeners of each other's swords. Dan's eyes glimmered once again with that recognition as he moved in for a strong handshake. How nice it was to meet friends wherever one went in this little country.

"You might be pleased to know that I did indeed bring those scrolls safely back to the library," Dan said as he opened one side of the magnificent double door and invited Vexel in before himself. A huge stone staircase ushered them upwards as polished statues of old dragon deities looked down on them from above. Claws and teeth stood immobile amidst clouds of petrified glory, making sure only the strongest entered. Upstairs, a handsome stone arena flanked by classical pillars and illuminated by the sun shining in through windows that stretched from chest height all the way to the roof awaited them.

Vexel Mitore

PM   
^
Vexel Mitore
 Posted: 8/28/17, 02:31 pm
Sev
281 posts
Pokémon Trainer

As the gym leader stepped into view, Vex had a moment to think that Jae definitely owed him a trip to the bar the next time they met before Dan greeted him. "Dan from Cianwood City in Johto. I think you forgot to mention 'Gym Leader in Wisteria Town' last time we met." Of course, the last time they had met Dan had been off on some mission to collect some historical book or something and return it to the library and they hadn't had much time to converse. Perhaps they'd have some time after their battle to talk, because Vex very much wanted to figure out if they'd met before or if he had simply seen Dan's picture as he'd read about the gym and that was why he had felt like he'd recognized the gym leader when they'd met in Hinoki Village.

"That's good to hear." He replied when Dan mentioned he'd returned the scrolls to the library without incident. Honestly, he hadn't really given much thought to the fate of the historical texts after he and Dan had parted ways that day but knowing they'd arrived safely was unsurprising. As the door was pushed open, Vex was reminded of his first trip into the Dragon's Den and the shrine hidden away deep within. He reached up to touch one of the dragon statues, the ring on his left hand glinting slightly in the dim library lighting. Without waiting for an invitation, he ascended the stairs, not deterred by the silent stone sentinels, and stepped out onto the battlefield. "Hmm...not what I expected. Everything I've read said the battlefield was a stone arena lit by torches. Either you've done some redecorating since those books were written or people have active imaginations." He said with a laugh. They had the 'impressive stone arena' right but sunlight streamed in from the ceiling high windows, a welcome surprise from the dim, flickering light of torches that he'd expected.

Daniel Gaitley
PM   
^
Daniel Gaitley
 Posted: 9/9/17, 01:08 pm
Icarus
386 posts
Gym Leader

Vexel said he wasn't expecting so much sunlight in the arena, but it certainly didn't seem like he was disappointed. How could anyone turn down the way the sky painted the stone with gold? It was the earth's way of reminding humans that there was much more to the world than grinding out a living. Battles, too, were a reminder that one was defined by their relationships, and that one existed in perpetual conversation with the people around them, the sky above them, and the ground beneath their feet. While Dan walked past Vexel on his way to the opposite end of the vast stone rectangle, he thought back to the time when he commissioned a renovation of the area, and was seized by the urge to connect. "Well, we aren't Blackthorn City." Stopping about a third of the way down the arena, Dan turned back to Vexel as his polite smile loosened into a candid grin. Both of them were here in the capacity of defender and challenger, but they were also Johto boys who came to this new continent in search of a new way to live.

"Back when I tried raising dragons in Johto, I felt like I was always living in the shadow of the Blackthorn dragon clans. Since I was born outside the circle, I could never find my way in, and I never got to train as one of them, inside their cave and within the torch-lit halls of their gym. That's why I opened up the windows to invite the sky in. This gym must be a new beginning for dragons, a new way to create a personal myth that's completely reinvented from the past." Dan spoke candidly, and in that short moment of unprecedented personal depth, he felt like he knew Vexel much better than he actually did. A meaningful silence hung over them, soft as the filtered sunlight and as meaningful as solid stone. Yet, propriety bade him to resume the formalities once more, and Dan collected himself again, turning to walk towards his stand.

Vexel Mitore, I thought this would be a good place to see if Dan and Vexel could hit it off as good friends, but if you wanna cut straight to the battle that's ok with me too!

PM   
^
Vexel Mitore
 Posted: 10/5/17, 03:53 pm
Sev
281 posts
Pokémon Trainer

At the comment about Blackthorn City, Vex frowned slightly. Was that a jab at him and the way the Blackthorn Gym worked? Was it a compliment? He wasn't sure but when Daniel faced him he was grinning and Vex gave him a small smirk and a shrug. "A fair point but I wasn't comparing the two. I was just curious." He replied with a light shake of his head, his tone neutral and . He hadn't expected this gym to be like the one he'd grown up in. He'd simply read in various sources that the Wisteria Gym was dark and lit only by torches. And the arena that he now stood in was very much not what he had pictured based on what he head read.

As Dan continued, however, Vex's smile fell a little and he looked thoughtful. He had been born into the Blackthorn Dragon clans. He had always been treated with respect as the heir apparent to the gym and steward of the Dragon's Den. As such, he had never had to try and find a way to fit in or to impress anyone. He knew outsiders often came to Blackthorn, hoping to be allowed into the inner circle and to be allowed to learn the secrets of the dragon clans. Very few were ever allowed to do so. Perhaps that was how he had met Dan previously. It did sound as though he had come to Blackthorn hoping to become a gym trainer or something. "Tradition has it's place and it is instilled very deeply into the hearts of those born into the Blackthorn clans. But I never did understand why so many promising dragon trainers were turned away. I'm well aware of the reasons why; we can't afford to be passing our secrets to a potential spy, after all. But we're also cutting ourselves off from the possibility of bringing in new ideas and techniques to our training. Without the influx of new blood, eventually the traditions that they cling so tightly to will begin to fade as more and more people choose to leave and the elders pass on." He commented, gaze shifting to windows as he considered his next words. "Maybe some day when...." He trailed off briefly, his gaze dropping to the ring on his hand. "If I return to Blackthorn to run the gym, maybe I'll be able to change things." But that was a big if. He and Aria were building a life here in Eden. When the time came...could he ask her to abandon all the work they had done to return to Johto with him?

Shaking the thought away, he looked back at Dan and reached for a pokeball. "But enough about things neither of us are here to change today. We're here for a battle and I expect a good one." He said, unclipping the pokeball and tossing it into the arena. With a flash of light, a snowy white Vulpix appeared standing before Vex. Leilani might not be particularly keen on battling but if Vex called on her she never wavered. The moment her paws touched the surface of the battlefield, small hailstones began to fall from somewhere near the ceiling. With a small cry, the Alolan Vulpix too up a battle-ready stance. She was ready to face whatever foe came her way!

Snow Warning is in effect.
Hail: 1/5

Daniel Gaitley
PM   
^
Daniel Gaitley
 Posted: 10/14/17, 09:03 am
Icarus
386 posts
Gym Leader

Dan noticed how Vexel's expression hardened slightly when he drew the comparison between Wisteria and Blackthorn, and his own eyebrows perked up when Vexel used the collective "we" to refer to the Blackthorn dragon tamers. Shifting his weight back onto his heels in a subtle tilt away, Dan realised that he might have trodden heavily on some toes that he really didn't want to injure, but his desire to tell his own story kept him firmly footed on the bright stone floor. Thankfully, while Dan and Vexel disagreed on a surface level regarding the value of tradition, they seemed to agree in terms of fundamentals, that one had to keep their windows open so that fresh winds would keep their house free of stagnation. Dan's own posture loosened up and he beamed with a small but sincere smile. Even more than before, he looked forward to this battle between two equals, and hopefully friends by the end of it too.

"Right you are, and may the best man win!" Now standing upon the gym leader's platform, Dan threw his own Pokeball forward and sent Beatrice/Ralts (Female) onto the arena! With a neat bow, Dan's own fairy was ready to do battle, and an aura of confidence radiated from her little frame. "Use Charge Beam!" With that command, Beatrice's aura moved into the visible realm and took the form of an electric blitz, zipping across the stone floor and heating up the tiles! Even though sharp bits of ice caused tiny pinpricks of pain over her body, Beatrice was steadfast in her determination to put up the best fight ever!

Vexel Mitore

PM   
^
Vexel Mitore
 Posted: 10/16/17, 07:57 am
Sev
281 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Vex considered adding some witty quip like 'I intend to' after Dan words about the best man winning. But there was no guarantee that he would win. He had worked with his team quite a bit but there was no way of knowing if their training was going to pay off. Each gym so far had presented different challenges and learning experiences for him. In Plumeria, he'd needed to consider more moves and strategies that covered his team's weaknesses. After Ironwood, he'd needed to rethink some strategies. He'd won both of those battles but he'd also learned from them. He hoped the same would be true today.

So far, things seemed to be looking good. He was up against a Ralts, a fairly neutral opponent for the ice type Vulpix. Of course, that meant neither pokemon had any moves that were particularly effective against the other. But that was the fun part of battles, trying to find ways to get ahead when you didn't have an advantage. "Leilani move!" The Vulpix tried to leap out of the way and though she had managed to dodge the worst of it, she couldn't avoid it altogether and she cried out as electricity course through her body. With her fur standing on end, the Alolan Vulpix bared sharp teeth at the Ralts. "Well that wasn't very nice was it, pup? How about some Payback for that?" Leilani gave a sharp yip, letting her anger and pain build and lend power to her own attack before unleashing it upon the Ralts.

Leilani used Payback!
Snow Warning is in effect.
Hail: 2/5

Daniel Gaitley
(Just gonna note that I intend to use a Silver Tier pokemon after Leilani (and I also plan on boosting her to Silver via the event once I make my post there with Vex but for this matchup I will only use her Bronze Tier moves) and then a Gold Tier after that so that you can plan accordingly. =))
PM   
^
Daniel Gaitley
 Posted: 10/18/17, 10:21 am
Icarus
386 posts
Gym Leader

Leilani crashed into Beatrice with the full force of her frustration and sent the green-capped fairy thudding onto the cold floor. Combined with the chips of ice that cut into her skin, Beatrice was already much worse for wear than when she first started. Welling up with self-pity, the sprite pulled herself back up although her body was now closed off from her opponent in fright. Seeing that Beatrice didn't really have much going for her at this point, Dan decided to make a long-term investment instead.

"Calm yourself down! You can do it!"

Breathing out her anxiety, Beatrice turned her perception inwards and envisioned herself amidst a field of soft blooming flowers, just like the meadows behind Wisteria Gym. Vibrant colours and sumptuous scents lifted her mind from its previous gloom, and she returned to the battle with a newfound sparkle in her eye. Filled with strength, Beatrice yelped and steadied her feet once again!

Beatrice used Calm Mind! SpAtk +1, SpDef +1

Vexel Mitore

PM   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options    Reply   New Topic   New Poll   

RPG-D  FF:Adventu PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay
Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Pokemon: Terrene Kaleidoscope