paradise • a pokémon adventure
cbox

welcome

Established in July 2014, Paradise is a pokémon role-play community that’s all about getting back to the basics. With a simplified training system, we focus more on writing than grinding for levels. Join us today and begin your adventure in the Eden region!

information

Getting Started Setting Information Trainer Classes Game Mechanics Field Guide Eden League Rules & FAQ

updates

October 15 – It's that time again, folks! The annual Harvest Festival has begun in Wisteria Town, and everyone is getting into the Halloween spirit. Characters participating in the event are eligible for some sweet treats, so be sure to get in on the celebrations~!

shortcuts

Training Log Wild Encounters Breeding Records Adoption Center Face Claims Player Directory Open Threads

Reply   New Topic   New Poll   

Eden League 101
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/4/17, 07:55 am
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

​Cool wind played against Youngjae's hair as he pedalled down the scenic, meandering roadway on his bicycle. On his left, the open sea sparkled like diamonds under the light of the morning sun. To the right, trees dotted the grassy field littered with golden and russet leaves. The beautiful view was one of the reasons why the seaside route was popular amongst both locals and tourists alike, and indeed there were a lot of travellers today who had chosen to take the slow but scenic route towards Hibiscus Beach or Primrose Town.

There was a rest stop up ahead, and Jae parked his bike by the roadside and checked out the rest stop. The establishment was clearly dedicated to Pokémon trainers: there was a mini Poké Mart beside the cafeteria, and behind the building were several battling arenas open to the public. There was even a small information corner where one could learn more about the Eden League and pick up some tips on Pokémon battling.

His curiosity piqued, the young gym leader approached one of the large posters to see what had been written about the Ironwood Gym. "The gym leader and trainers use powerful electric, normal and steel type Pokémon," he read aloud. "Ground type Pokémon are recommended for their effectiveness against electric and steel type Pokémon, and they are also immune to electric-based attacks."

He raised a skeptical eyebrow at the piece of advice. It seemed sound at first glance, but Pokémon battling wasn't that simple. Every gym leader had their own ways of minimising the vulnerabilities of their Pokémon, especially one that was so obvious. "That's not entirely correct..." he mused aloud.

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
Sophie Wilson
 Posted: 10/4/17, 10:25 am
Sophie
20 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Sophie hadn’t made it too far as of yet. She was only two days into her journey, it seemed too soon to call home to update her family on how she was doing. Her legs were weary from all the walking, although she had only walked from Primrose Town along the cliffs and shoreline towards Hibiscus Beach which was about a day ahead.

It had been a good plan to stop at the nearest rest stop along the way. The first rest stop along the way seemed to be a rather popular place for trainers to gather. Many different trainers and their Pokémon had collected in small groups. Some seemed to be just relaxing, others buying useful items from the mart and others training their Pokémon at one of the small arenas.
Peach had only been interested in one thing, food. That was all she required from this rest. A large plate of berries would make her quite happy. As she scoffed down the food, Sophie stood up and moved over towards one of the little information kiosks nearby. Not far enough away, that she couldn’t keep an eye on her youngest partner, though.

On the wall surrounding the kiosk was tall posters which described many things. “Resistances and advantages, how to get ahead in a battle,” Sophie read out loud in an interested tone. She continued to turn her head and stare at each of the posters in turn. “There is so much to learn,” she said a little more dishearted. Someone else stood nearby and they were reading the posters also. The poster in question regarded something called the “Eden League.” Unsure what it meant, Sophie moved in for a closer look. The man nearby seemed to be muttering to himself in regards to the poster, maybe it’d be best if she asked him? “Excuse me, sorry for crowding. I was wondering what is the Eden League and Pokémon Gyms?”

Youngjae Hyun
PM   
^
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/5/17, 02:48 am
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

As a teenager approached the poster he was reading, Jae instinctively shuffled a couple of steps to the side to make room for her. Based on her young age and attire, he reckoned that she was a rookie trainer, a hunch that was confirmed when she asked him what the Eden League and Pokémon Gyms were. As a former gym trainer and the present leader of the Ironwood Gym, he had met more than his fair share of Pokémon trainers. But he rarely had the chance to meet someone who had just started their journey as a trainer, like this girl.

A quick glance at the poster revealed no useful information at all. It was just a bunch of vague statements, stuff like "The Pokémon League is the ultimate test of skill for Pokémon trainers" and "Only the best of the best will be able to successfully challenge and defeat the Gym Leaders and Elites".

"The posters aren't very useful, eh?" he surmised with a mirthless laugh before he began to answer her question in earnest. "The Pokémon League is a competition for Pokémon trainers who are interested in Pokémon battles. Each region has its own league and might differ from those in other areas. Here in Eden, there are five Pokémon gyms. When you successfully challenge and defeat a gym leader, you will earn badges..." His voice trailed off as he rummaged his backpack for his badge case. Finally finding it, he pulled it out and opened it, revealing a black and purple badge that gleamed under the light. "... such as this one."

"Once you've challenged all the gyms and earned all five badges, you can move on to challenge the three members of the Eden Elite," he continued. "And once you've defeated all three of them, you'll be crowned a champion of the Eden League. And yup, that's more or less what the Eden League is in a nutshell," he concluded with a smile, hoping that his summary was succinct enough for her to understand easily. He did leave out quite a lot of details for the sake of brevity, but he figured it would be best not to overload this new trainer with too much information. "I hope that wasn't too confusing for you. Is there anything else that you'd like to find out? Or if you like, I can elaborate a little more about gym battles."

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
Sophie Wilson
 Posted: 10/5/17, 10:02 am
Sophie
20 posts
Pokémon Trainer

The trainer began to explain about the Pokémon League. A set of battles with some of the strongest trainers in Eden? Five different battles and then three more. It sounded interesting and yet complicated. With each victory, you win a badge to prove your triumph.

The trainer pulled out a case and then opened it. Inside lay a shimmering badge of purple and black, most beautiful. “Whoa. So you beat a gym leader? That’s amazing,” Sophie said excitedly, her eyes fixed on the badge.
“Well to be honest. I would, well, need a lot more practice before I’d be able to beat a gym leader. I’m quite a new trainer.” Suddenly shocked, she realized, that she had forgotten to introduce herself. Something she had always been told to do when she met someone. “Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Sophie. It’s nice to meet you!”

Now with all of the food consumed with much gusto. The tiny Peach jumped down from the table and made her way across the floor – moving between the feet of the surrounding trainers. Finally reaching Sophie, she climbed up her leg, over her back, and to her usual spot on her shoulder. “Oh, you’re all done? Great. This is one of my partner’s. Peach,” she said, smiling from the little Pichu to the trainer. “Pichu! Pi!”

Gently petting the head of the tiny mouse, she looked back to the trainer and now she knew that he owned a badge, though it’d be best to ask. “Would you be able to show me some battling tips?”
PM   
^
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/7/17, 04:44 am
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

Jae blushed a little at the teenager's words, still not quite used to receiving compliments. "As long as you train hard, you'll be strong enough to take on gym leaders too," he said with a smile, subtly changing the focus from him to her. "No worries about that," he hurriedly replied when Sophie realised that she had neglected to introduce himself, since he was equally guilty of the same. "I'm Jae. Pleased to meet you!" For the moment he decided not to reveal his identity as a gym leader yet, seeing how this was a rather crowded area and he didn't want to draw too much attention towards himself. Maybe he would tell her later.

From seemingly out of nowhere, a Pichu appeared and climbed up onto Sophie's shoulder, and the young trainer introduced the tiny mouse Pokémon as Peach. "Hello there!" Jae beamed as he waved at the Peach. "May I? he asked, tentatively extending a hand to pet the Pichu with Sophie's permission. "Quite a number of my Pokémon are electric-types," he revealed. "Electric-types have some quirks that not many people are aware of, so I can share some tips with you later." Jae had learnt some of these lessons the hard way, having been electrocuted multiple times by his Pokémon and needing to replace his electronic devices after their circuits were accidentally fried by his Pokémon. Sometimes, his Pokémon suffered due to his inexperience too: electric-types (and to a certain extent, steel-types too) were more easily affected by strong or rapidly fluctuating electric and magnetic fields. Once he had brought his Magnemite along on a school field trip to a power plant, and the magnet Pokémon had turned extremely sick and dizzy.

"Battling tips? Wow… that's a tough one." Jae scratched his head as he tried to distill everything he knew into something more succinct. "How about this: let's head over to the battling arenas first, shall we?" he suggested. And as they walked, he continued speaking, starting with the most elementary tips that came to mind.

"I believe you're familiar with the different types of Pokémon?" he began. "Each type has its strengths and weaknesses, so what you want to do is to have a favourable matchup where your Pokémon has a type advantage over your opponent." He gestured towards Peach. "For instance, Pichu is an electric-type Pokémon. Her electric-based attacks would be effective against flying- and water-type Pokémon, but they won't work well against grass-, dragon- and other electric-type Pokémon, and are completely useless against ground-type Pokémon. Electric-type Pokémon are vulnerable against ground-based attacks, but they are resistant against electric, flying and steel attacks." At this point in time he paused, giving Sophie some time to digest all this information. "Put simply, if you're up against a ground-type Pokémon, you might want to avoid battling it with Peach. However, Peach would have a clear advantage against a flying-type Pokémon."

"That's not to say that electric-type Pokémon are useless when pit against grass-, dragon- and ground-type opponents," he added, moving on to talk about coverage moves. "Pokémon don't just learn moves that correspond to their type. If an electric-type Pokémon knows an ice-based move, it would be able to threaten Pokémon of the aforementioned three types, since those three types are vulnerable to ice-based attacks. Admittedly it gets a bit more complicated when you meet dual-type Pokémon or those with certain abilities, but as long as you understand how the various types fare against each other, you'll be fine."

((OOC: Ending the post here for now because I worry that Jae might be overloading Sophie with too much information too quickly. Please let me know if this pacing is fine, or if you prefer to speed up or slow down.))

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
Sophie Wilson
 Posted: 10/14/17, 04:25 pm
Sophie
20 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Jae seemed more than happy to help Sophie with her questions. He led Sophie with Peach sat on her shoulder, down the corridor and over to a side area. All the way down the corridor, a mass of trainers were sat with their Pokémon – either simply talking to them or brushing soft fur.
All the way down the corridor, he spoke to her all he knew about Pokémon and their types. He began asking if she knew about the different types of Pokémon. Sophie nodded, adding she already had collected a few different Pokémon of varying types. Noting to herself that each of the types, in turn, Charmander – a fire type, Pichu – an electric type, Pidgey – a normal and flying type as well as a Diglett – a ground type.

Jae carried on talking explaining the type resistances and favorable matchups using Peach as an example. “I think I understand. To use Peach, she’d be best against a flying type or a water type. But not overall useless, if you have the right moves?” Her head was starting to ache with all this information and yet she couldn’t stop listening to all his advice. It was invaluable for the future of her journey.

“At the moment, I have four Pokémon with me. Each one of a different type and would have different resistances and favorable matchups. I just need to figure out what each one is and how best to use them in battles.” For a second, she paused. “Although, I’ve never actually been in a battle yet. Would you mind...practicing with me? I know you must be much better than me but I’d appreciate the practice!”

Youngjae Hyun
PM   
^
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/15/17, 08:46 am
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

Jae's initial worries that he might be overloading Sophie with too much information seemed to be unfounded. Thus far, she was still able to keep up with what he was saying. "Yup, sending the most suitable Pokémon out can skew the battle to your advantage right from the start," he nodded in concurrence.

Now that they had the theory part covered (more or less), it was time to move on to the practical aspect of battling. But before he could suggest it, Sophie beat him to it as though she had read his mind. "Of course," he agreed. "I'll be more than happy to." The battling arenas were outside, just beside the building, and Jae led Sophie to one of the unused arenas.

Once they were there, Jae took out one of the Poké Balls from his backpack and tossed it high into the air, releasing his chosen Pokémon with a flash of red light. "Toge~!" Fiestar squeaked brightly, greeting Sophie and Peach by waving her stubby little arms. The Togedemaru's spiny fur and armoured appearance suggested that she was a steel-type Pokémon, and the yellow markings on her cheeks resembled Peach's pink cheek pouches and possibly served a similar function.

"A Pokémon's type should give you a pretty good idea of what it is resistant and vulnerable to, but it's not always that straightforward," Jae explained. "Remember the posters back there? It said that ground-type Pokémon are useful against electric- and steel-types, but Fiestar has one nifty trick up her sleeve."

"Togedemaru~!" The spiny Pokémon agreed, and proceeded to demonstrate what her trainer just said. Sparks gathered at the tips of her quills, gradually stabilising into a crackling field of electricity that surrounded her like a yellow aura. And as if by magic, she began to float upwards, levitating a few inches above the ground.

"Against a tricky opponent like Fiestar, what would your pick be?" he asked.

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
Sophie Wilson
 Posted: 10/15/17, 09:43 am
Sophie
20 posts
Pokémon Trainer

As if he knew exactly what Sophie wanted, he led her over to one of the empty battlefields. Sophie looked up at Jae, quite excited for the battle to come. This was, in fact, her first and that made it all the more fun.
Jae pulled out a Pokéball from within his backpack and then threw it up in the air. A tiny Pokémon burst out from within. It was very rounded and cute. It had a similar appearance to Peach indicating it may be an Electric type. While it’s armored body also indicated it was something else. Just to be sure, she pulled out her Pokedex and held it out. “Togedemaru. The Roly-Poly Pokémon. The long hairs on its back act as lightning rods. The bolts of lightning it attracts are stored as energy in its electric sac.”

“That’s cool. Is it related to my Peach?” she asked, looking closely at the little hedgehog. “It’s so cute too!” Peach hearing these words puffed herself up and sparked a little. Unwilling to be second best to some second-rate Pika. She began to nuzzle Sophie closely and cutely. “Pichuuuu! Piii~♥”
Giggling a little at her partner's behavior, she hugged while setting her down at her side. “You know, you’re always #1 in my heart, Peach,” she said rubbing her cheeks softly. Turning back to Jae, she asked, “Anyway, where were we?”

He began to explain about one of his Pokemon’s moves and how it may stop one of the weaknesses of electric types. The Togedemaru lifted itself into the air like magic, levitating a few inches off the ground. “Woah, that’s even more amazing. So it’s can’t be hit by ground moves like Magnitude?” Which was a move that her Diglett could use?
“Judging by what you’ve told me. I shouldn’t pick Dougie. Nor should I pick, Pippi because of type weaknesses. Peach would make a match but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough,” she said to herself more than to Jae.

“Okay! In that case, that leaves just one,” she said, throwing a Pokeball up in the air. It burst open with a flash of white light, revealing her final partner. With a tail of wildfire, the little reptilian, Charlie appeared. It let out a little roar and shot out a tiny burst of fire. “Are you ready?” She asked it, a burst of excitement welling up inside Sophie.
“Char! Charmander!” The little fire lizard exclaimed, jumping into position in the middle of the battlefield. “This is our first battle, let’s make it a good one!”
PM   
^
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/16/17, 04:24 am
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

As Sophie watched Fiestar levitate using electromagnetism, she correctly deduced that ground-type moves would not be able to affect the floating Togedemaru. "You're absolutely right," he replied. "Other than kicking sand into Fiestar's eyes, most ground-type moves can't affect her at all." And he nodded as he followed her train of thought while she deduced which of her Pokémon had an advantage over Fiestar.

She quickly arrived at a conclusion, and her answer was revealed when she selected a Poké Ball and threw it, releasing a Charmander with a burst of red light. Fiestar squeaked meekly, knowing that this was a bad matchup for her. Her spines bristled instinctively, trying to look a little scarier and tougher than usual. It was a good try, but there was no way that display would intimidate the Charmander.

"Start off with Defence Curl!" Upon hearing her trainer's words, Fiestar curled up into a tight ball, hiding her face and limbs such that only her spines were visible. It looked pretty funny: a barbed metal ball floating in mid-air, but anyone who was vaguely familiar with what the roly-poly Pokémon could do would realise that it was neither as cute nor harmless as it looked.

Fiestar used DEFENCE CURL!
Fiestar's defence rose!

Fiestar's stat changes: +1 DEF

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
Sophie Wilson
 Posted: 10/16/17, 03:33 pm
Sophie
20 posts
Pokémon Trainer

A brand new wave of excitement filled Sophie as the battle was to begin. Sophie stared at the little Togedemaru as if staring down a great adversary. She was trying to come up with the battle move to use and not wanting to let down her new friend who had already taught her so much. “Okay, Charlie! Let’s show them our power!” Sophie said excitedly. As if channeling her exhilaration, the little Charmander let loose a stream of fire from its mouth up into the air.

The Togedemaru moved first, following the orders of Jae to the letter. It curled up into a tight ball of shimmering metal and hovering in midair, quite serenely. “Are you ready, Charlie. Let’s show them your Metal Claw!” Without missing a beat, Charlie jumped forward – his small white claws flashing with a metallic silver glow. Whilst simultaneously slashing in front of him in the direction of the Togedemaru. “Char, Charmander!”

Charlie used Metal Claw
PM   
^
Youngjae Hyun
 Posted: 10/17/17, 12:32 pm
Jae
185 posts
Gym Leader

Jae raised a quizzical eyebrow at Sophie's choice of an opening attack, but said nothing for now. In contrast, the relatively inexperienced Fiestar squeaked in alarm and pulled herself even more tightly into a ball. She had not quite gotten used to electromagnetic levitation, and with her stubby legs in midair, she had to rely solely on manipulating the electric field around her to dodge the incoming attack.

Not that she needed to. The Charmander's claws struck Fiestar's armoured shell resoundingly, but apart from making a loud ringing sound, there was little damage done. The same could not really be said of Sophie's Charmander, however; Fiestar's sharp quills bristled, ready to punish anyone who dared to lay a finger on her.

"Electric- and steel-type Pokémon easily shrug off steel-based attacks," Jae observed, trying to keep his tone as neutral as possible. Granted, Sophie had blundered there, but he didn't want to sound too harsh and discourage her. "What type of attacks do steel-type Pokémon like Fiestar fear?" he asked, using the question as a starting point for her to come up with a strategy for this battle. "Don't forget too that Fiestar is armoured with sharp spines, so it might not be wise to use a melee attack against her."

"But I like how confident you sound," the young gym leader added with a smile. "During a tough battle, your Pokémon will look to you for guidance and rely on you as their pillar of strength. Make them feel that they can trust you, and in turn they will do their best for you."

Nonetheless, the ill-advised attack had an unintended side effect of pushing the Fiestar out of melee range. The slashing motion had also imparted a slight spin to the floating roly-poly Pokémon, throwing off her aim as well. "Stay calm, Fiestar," he reassured the Togedemaru, who was now flailing around and trying to get her bearings right. "It's alright, Fiestar,". Jae's voice was calm and steady, reassuring her that there was no need to panic. "Thunder Shock, on my mark… Now!"

A split second later, an arc of lightning streaked across the arena. Fiestar's aim was a little off, having slightly mistimed the move, but with luck the bolt of electricity might still connect.

Fiestar's Iron Barbs hurt Charlie!

Fiestar used THUNDER SHOCK!

Fiestar levitated on electromagnetism! [3/5 turns]

Fiestar's stat changes: +1 DEF

[Sophie Wilson]
PM   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options    Reply   New Topic   New Poll   

RPG-D  FF:Adventu PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay
Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Pokemon: Terrene Kaleidoscope