paradise • a pokémon adventure
cbox

welcome

Established in July 2014, Paradise is a pokémon role-play community that’s all about getting back to the basics. With a simplified training system, we focus more on writing than grinding for levels. Join us today and begin your adventure in the Eden region!

information

Getting Started Setting Information Trainer Classes Game Mechanics Field Guide Eden League Rules & FAQ

updates

June 23 – Howdy, folks! Just wanted to pop in here and let everyone know that we will have a super fun IC event coming up in July. :D If anyone remembers the Summer Sun Celebration from last year, we'll be doing that again — only with some incentive in the form of rewards~!

shortcuts

Training Log Wild Encounters Breeding Records Adoption Center Face Claims Player Directory Open Threads

Reply   New Topic   

where'd you go?, festival, open
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 4/24/17, 01:09 pm
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

Verity's steps forward were measured and dainty, her hands folded in front of her as she walked. By her side, a deep purple pumpkaboo floated. Her stalwart companion was hardly the strongest of her pokemon or the most useful, but he seemed to actually enjoy her company. While the festival might have helped to raise Tyrian's friendship, she wasn't certain he would be the best choice to tag along with her.

The food here seemed just as likely to be a miss with him, even as it spoiled him.

Perhaps feeding the eevee treats wasn't the way to go, but she wasn't really sure where she was going wrong. The woman had no experience with this whole raising pokemon business. It had never been all that important to her until she realized she needed to be able to stand on her own should the time come. Training pokemon until they got stronger was a simple concept for her to understand, but loving them? No. It didn't translate.

The woman paused when she realized her pumpkaboo was no longer at her side, looking around. "Auber?" She called into the diminishing crowd. The sun was near to setting, so she shouldn't have too much trouble catching sight of him. What had that curious thing gotten himself into? She couldn't tell whatever might have caught his attention.

She withheld a sigh. Tyrian wouldn't have done this to her.
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 5/2/17, 09:14 pm
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Verity Sloane (Hope you don't mind me jumping in! Maybe Verity can shed a little light on Nightshade for Dakota?)

"Watch it!" a loud, deep voice rang out as Dakota accidentally bumped into some stranger. She held up a hand without saying a word and the man kept on walking. Ugh, I hate crowds, she thought to herself. This festival was definitely not her scene. How did she even find herself here anyway?

The evening air was a little chilly, and thick with the fresh scent of cherry blossoms and carnival food, which Dakota didn't think mixed well at all. She wanted to get out of here actually, and was hurrying to find whatever street or alley would take her away from the festival square. What the hell, am I lost? she thought angrily, getting frustrated that she was still in the thick of the festival. She did feel turned around, and even though she was typically excellent with directions the town was overflowing with festival decor, merchandise tents, and food carts. Even if she wasn't new to town it would be hard to find her way around.

A woman had stopped just a few feet in front of her, and Dakota thought she might take advantage of this moment and ask for some quick directions. The woman had long, ice-blue hair and a confused expression on her face. What if this woman is lost too? Just my luck, she thought and rolled her eyes. Dakota took a few steps towards the woman anyway and cleared her throat.

"Excuse me, can you point me in the direction of the Hinoki Village Inn?" she asked, trying to catch the woman's eye contact as she approached. Sure the woman heard her, she paused in front of her and waited for an answer.
PM   Email
^
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 5/6/17, 12:43 pm
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

It was jarring when her concentration and flurried thoughts were interrupted by a woman asking for directions. For a moment, she stared at her blankly, almost seeing through her. "I-" She started, before shaking her head. "No, I'm sorry. I don't live here." Her heart was pounding and even missing beats, and she didn't know why. She cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but have you seen a purple pumpkaboo? His name is Auber, and I'm afraid he might have gotten himself into trouble." It wasn't like him to just wander this far from her side without trying to draw her attention. Any of her other pokemon, and she wouldn't have blinked at the potential for them to be thoughtless or clumsy, but something felt very wrong to her about Auber being gone from her side.

She just couldn't put her finger on what, exactly, that was.

[Dakota Gilbert It's not a problem at all! Thank you for picking it up. c: If it works out, I'd love that plot.]
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 5/6/17, 04:44 pm
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

It took a moment for the woman to answer her, and when she finally spoke she seemed uncertain and confused. Dakota might have assumed this lady was high or out of her mind, but then she asked about her pokémon and Dakota realized she was just worried. Her eyes widened at the mention of a purple pumpkaboo, and she shook her head. "I'm sorry, I haven't seen any pumpakoo out and about." she answered, and then paused to take a look around.

There were people everywhere. People shopping, people eating, people selling goods, people talking... this little pokémon could be anywhere. Dakota frowned, and looked back towards the woman. "Well, since I'm lost anyway... I can help you look for him if you'd like? Four eyes are better than two, and maybe I'll figure out where the Inn is along the way?" Dakota offered. She didn't really care so much about the pokémon, but she did feel bad for the lady. If her Samara got lost she'd be pretty upset too.

"We can split up, and if I find him or hear anything I'll meet you back here at this square. Does that sound good?" Dakota asked, and reached into a side pocket on her bag. She pulled out a pokéball, and tossed it in front of her. The pokéball popped open when it hit the ground and a dark shape took form in front of them. "Samara, help me look for a purple pumpkaboo, will ya?" Dakota said, and her haunter gave a nod and a wide grin.

Dakota looked back at the lady and attempted a smile, which probably looked more like a smirk, and waited for confirmation that she didn't mind her help.

Verity Sloane
PM   Email
^
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 5/13/17, 12:11 pm
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

Verity was not surprised when the woman had not seen Auber. That would have been too convenient. Instead, she began to look around the crowd again immediately, as if dismissing the woman - it took a moment for her to realize the girl was still around and talking to her. Perhaps she was a little too used to city life.

She nodded once at the offer, supposing it would be rude to turn it down even if it seemed foolish to trust this stranger. She felt much better about the girl's competence the moment the purple pokemon appeared before her; she recognized it as a haunter, as ghost types were not uncommon among those in nightshade. "Thank you." She finally said.

"It would be difficult to get in touch when we split up if we do not exchange contact information." Verity said evenly before she let the woman go, noticing her smirk and not a trusting person to begin with. "If you wouldn't mind exchanging our contact information, it would ease my mind. Perhaps if you are lost again you can call me."

She didn't want to take the time to do this, but it was the smart thing to do than to simply let her go after telling her a shiny pumpkaboo was alone somewhere in the village.

[Dakota Gilbert I'm sorry this took so long]
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 5/14/17, 10:38 am
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Dakota's eyes narrowed at the woman, but then softened when she accepted her offer. It wasn't often that Dakota was friendly towards strangers, so if she had been ignored or shrugged off Dakota might have responded angrily. She didn't have to though, and agreed when the woman asked to exchange contact information.

"Good idea." Dakota said, pulling out her pokégear. "You can put it under Dakota. And what's your name?" she asked, trying to form a smile.

After they exchanged information, Dakota took to scanning her surroundings. Again, people were everywhere and there was so much commotion, it would be hard to find a stray pokémon anywhere. "Is there something he likes or would easily get distracted by? Are you worried he got nabbed by someone or does he usually wander off?" Dakota asked, trying to get a feel for the situation before they split up. If she knew the pumpkaboo had a weakness for sweets, she would start checking all of the foot carts that sold desserts. If the pumpkaboo had been kidnapped, well... she might have to focus more on the people around them and watch for any suspicious behavior. A slight uneasy feeling crept over her at the thought, only because finding him would be near impossible at this point.

[Verity Sloane No worries! ^.^ Hope this is okay, if you have any ideas on how you want this to go just let me know or send me a PM. Figured we'd split up and write about our searches and you can let me know what really happened to him and either of us can find him? What do you think?]
PM   Email
^
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 5/18/17, 04:07 pm
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

Verity blinked once as she moved to add Dakota's information, realizing that, obviously, the woman didn't know who she was. "Oh. I am Verity." Her smile came easily, a practiced one formed through etiquette lessons and a strict disapproval for anything less than a happy disposition. Verity was anything but, obviously, but appearances were nearly everything. It was something still hardwired into her, and there was enough shame in having lost sight of her pumpkaboo.

Verity's eyes flashed for a moment, but she remained the picture of calm. "He's a menace, but only in how easily distracted he is. He's ... too curious and kind for his own good." Verity admitted, to her shame, with a frown. "He's never gone this far from me since I've gotten him, so I'm not sure what happened." That was the most she was willing to say on the matter. The very thought of some insolent, inexperienced thief trying to steal her pokemon made her blood boil. If that was the case, someone was going to pay very dearly.

"If Auber was stolen, handling that will be my responsibility." She finally said, nodding. The girl was free to take that as she wanted to. She nodded again to the haunter, a sign of respect, before she turned to weave through the crowd. It was, for once in her life, an inconvenience that the ghost left no footprints as it floated this way and that.

[Dakota Gilbert sure thing! this was perfect life is just eating me lo siento]
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 5/18/17, 05:36 pm
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

It wasn't a lot of details, which Dakota found a touch discouraging, but it would help. She really hoped the lost little pokémon was just gobbling up some treats that some kid had accidentally dropped in the street. She didn't press for more information, the poor woman looked angrier by the minute and Dakota didn't feel like dealing with any heightened emotions. Verity said her piece and then turned towards the crowds, and Dakota watched her disappear between the bodies of people.

"Okay, Samara. Here's the deal." Dakota had spun around to face her Haunter and got straight to business. Samara gave a swift nod and concentrated on her. "You take to the streets and alleys and check all the low, dark spots, and I'll keep my eyes up and check the people and tents." Dakota said, and Samara gave her another nod and a hiss. Dakota smirked, feeling that familiar tug at her heart that Samara always seemed to give her. She reached up and put out a hand, requesting a low-five. Samara responded with a quick low-five motion, only her claw went through Dakota's hand as expected. They both grinned, and turned to enter the crowds towards the direction Verity had come from.

Samara hovered just barely above the ground, dissipating and materializing in and out of people's legs. She checked in corners, under table cloths, behind tents... any place that looked like it could hide a pokémon. Dakota was just head of her, walking quietly with her hands in her pockets. Her eyes scanned the entire peripheral, from left to right, and back again. She watched the people move, listened for any sounds of unusual commotion, while simultaneously checking on Samara every now and then.

(Verity Sloane Sorry, I know it's short, but I wanted to wait until I heard back from you as far as who finds him first. ^.^ Plus this gets us out on the streets!)
PM   Email
^
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 5/31/17, 02:31 am
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

Verity wove through her crowd, eyes on the faces. There were next to no criminal elements she recognized - and she would recognize the majority of them that were worth knowing about, she was certain of it. Those she did notice were of her own, and they didn't duck away from her gaze. She doubted they would be both brave and skilled enough to hold such an expression were they hiding what belonged to her.

After all, had it come from within, it would have been a point being made. There would be no need to shy away if they wanted her to know in the first place.

She wasn't quite sure what to think of the girl who had offered to help her; nothing had ever come for free in Verity's life, and she didn't expect that to start now. It could, of course, be as simple as the girl simply wanting her help with directions. Verity wondered what she should do, should the girl actually go on to find Auber. She supposed, begrudgingly, that she would have to resign herself to helping the young woman.

She wasn't even sure how old she was.

Auber was completely unaware of just how much time had passed. The shiny pumpkaboo has simply noticed a wandering mienfoo, barely weaving between feet in the crowd in time to avoid getting stomped on. The good-hearted ghost type had simply done the right thing, as he was certain Verity would be proud of him for doing, and led it out of the street and into the back alley once he knew that was where his family might be looking for him. The young pokemon had no concept of time, so when the parent mienfoo had insisted on repaying him, he had waited patiently.

As far as he could think, Verity would still be there when he got back.

[Dakota Gilbert]
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 5/31/17, 09:45 pm
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

This wasn't going the way Dakota had planned at all. They hadn't found a single clue or hint of the purple pumpkin pokémon, and Dakota began to think they were wasting their time. Clearly this thing is either gone, taken, or back with its owner and the owner had left her hanging. She placed her hand on her bag, seconds away from dialing the owner and questioning her some more, but then she caught something out of the corner of her eye.

Across the street and down a nearby alley, something moved in the shadows of the buildings. "Samara?" she whispered, unsure if it was her own pokémon she saw or someone else's. She looked around her for Samara but couldn't find her anywhere. Damn it, she thought to herself, and recognized the irony if she lost Samara while looking for a lost pokémon. A few people walked past her as she stood still in the street, so she moved out of the way.

Down the alley and around a dark corner, Samara had stumbled upon some stray Meinfoo. She had scared the daylights out of the family and was trying to smooth things over so she could ask them for help. Two larger Meinfoo and a small one shivered in the corner of a dumpster, terrified. Samara tried very gently to explain that she was looking for a purple Pumpkaboo and asked if they had seen one. Just as the largest of the Meinfoo took a step forward and began to speak, Dakota stepped in.

"Samara!! There you are!" a loud voice rang out, causing the Meinfoo to scatter in all directions and disappear. Samara angrily rolled her eyes. "Haunter!!" she snarled back, which stunned Dakota for a second. She blinked a few times, unsure she's ever been snapped at by her own pokémon before. "What's up with you?" she asked, crossing her arms. Samara hovered for just a moment, before turning and disappearing around the corner. Dakota grunted, frustrated, and hurried to follow after Samara.

Around another corner or two, Dakota found Samara hovering nearby an apprehensive purple Pumpkaboo. Once again, Samara had scared the pokémon and was trying to calm it down. Dakota didn't approach, in fear of scaring off the Pumpkaboo entirely. Instead, she did as she was told and took her pokégear out of her bag. She quickly scrolled through her contacts, with one eye still on the pokémon ahead of her, and found Verity's number. With a tap of a button, her phone was ringing. "Hello? It's me, I believe we've found your pokémon. I'm afraid Samara might have spooked it though and I'm worried it might try to run. Can you make it here?" Dakota explained, and attempted to direct Verity down the alleys that led to their location.

Verity Sloane (Hope this is okay! Let me know if I need to make any changes! ^^)
PM   Email
^
Verity Sloane
 Posted: 6/17/17, 07:35 pm
Mink
67 posts
Nightshade

Nothing. She had found a total of no trace at all, and had just started to consider pulling on Arin - whatever she was doing - to help her track down the ghost type. Instead, she faintly heard her phone buzzing and veered out of the street to answer it. "I'll be right there." She said briskly once she'd been given the directions, heading down the street and backtracking from the way she had come, keenly aware of the fact that she had been looking in the opposite direction.

It was without fear that she traveled down the alleyway, stopping once she'd turned the corner to adjust to the sight of Auber cowering from the haunter. He had always been more of a pet, after all. Perhaps she should train him enough to be able to handle his own, some day.

Not today, though.

"Auber ..." She said, voice soft, and the moment the pumpkaboo heard her he seemed to forget about the haunter and human he was cowering from, zipping a radius around them to round towards his trainer, pressing up against her stomach. The woman paused, confused, arms held instinctively at each side but not folding inwards except a moment later, a gentle pat on the ghost type. "That's enough, now. You're safe." She said, before glancing up at the stranger with gray eyes.

"I owe you one." This was not said with a smile or kindness or reflex. She meant it, and she wasn't necessarily pleased. "You could have just taken him, but you didn't. Is there anything you want?" It would be better to reason out the deal now, than have it hanging over her head, in her opinion.

[Dakota Gilbert]
PM   
^
Dakota Gilbert
 Posted: 6/19/17, 11:43 am
Lisa
26 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Dakota hung up the phone and a wave of relief swept over her. It wasn't even her pokémon that was lost, but knowing they were about to reunite made her feel glad. She knew how she'd feel if it had been her and Samara. It was only a matter of minutes before Verity appeared from around the corner, somewhat rushed but still calm and collected it seemed. Dakota grinned but didn't say a word, she just let the trainer take charge and get her pokémon back.

"Samara, come back over here." she said softly, when the Pumpkaboo was out of reach and back with Verity. Samara hovered over and hid slightly behind Dakota's right shoulder, in an attempt to look less scary. Dakota gave her a smile, then watched the trainer interact with her pokémon. It was... sweet, sort of, as the Pumpkaboo pressed itself against Verity's stomach. Rather than an embrace, the woman simply pat the pokémon on its head, almost as if she wasn't sure how to react to the affection shown to her. Dakota raised an eyebrow, just a little curious about why she reacted that way, and then quickly brushed it off when Verity glanced at her.

The woman then proceeded to thank her, and offered her a favor in return. Dakota hadn't expected anything in return actually, all she had been interested in at the start of this adventure was getting directions to her inn. 'You could have just taken him...' Verity's words echoed in her mind, which bothered her a little bit. She offered to help, and was sincere about doing so, why would she take the Pumpkaboo instead? The only stealing of pokémon that she was familiar with came from Nightshade, the crime syndicate she had been looking for information on...

Dakota pondered for a moment, her eyes locked with Verity's. This woman had either had a very rough, unfortunate life where having her pokémon stolen was a common thing, or she was conditioned to that world. It would explain her somewhat awkward reunion with her pokémon, most trainers would have been overjoyed and emotional. Perhaps there wasn't an emotional attachment to her pokémon, and that suggested something... What if this woman was somehow involved with that group, or knew more about it than she should? So far on Dakota's journey through Eden she had found very little information about Nightshade. She didn't know this woman, so even if she inquired and was immediately shot down, it's not like she'd run into her again. She had to try, she hadn't made any progress at all since she arrived. It was a shot in the dark, but she built up the courage and took a chance.

"Information." she said sternly, feeling the atmosphere turn a little chillier in the alley as the mood grew serious. Dakota held her chin up confidently. "I'm actually here in Eden because I'm looking for more information about Nightshade. Have you heard of it? Do you know what it is?" she said, and the slightest bit of fear began to creep over her, knowing that this was dangerous territory she was trying to step on. She had to go with her gut feeling though, this lady was not your average trainer and something was up with her.

Verity Sloane (Let me know if I need to make changes!)
PM   Email
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options    Reply   New Topic   

RPG-D  FF:Adventu PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay
Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Pokemon: Terrene