paradise • a pokémon adventure
cbox

welcome

Established in July 2014, Paradise is a pokémon role-play community that’s all about getting back to the basics. With a simplified training system, we focus more on writing than grinding for levels. Join us today and begin your adventure in the Eden region!

information

Getting Started Setting Information Trainer Classes Game Mechanics Field Guide Eden League Rules & FAQ

updates

May 18 – As you may have noticed, there have been some updates to the site's skin… most noticeably, forum area images! For a detailed account of what's changed (and to keep track of additional updates as they happen), check out the May Change-Log!

shortcuts

Training Log Wild Encounters Breeding Records Adoption Center Face Claims Player Directory Open Threads

Reply   New Topic   

A day at the beach, for Nox
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 4/15/17, 06:19 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

"Well at least there aren't a bunch of people around," Karjan said to Nox, as he examined the area around them. While there were people closer to the pier and the ferris wheel itself, out here at the very edge of the beach there weren't many people, which suited him just fine. This was supposedly a trip for his birthday, after all, and Karjan really didn't want to spend it surrounded by a bunch of strangers.

Nox had probably been surprised when Karjan had agreed so easily to spend this time not in the ruins, or hunting down more ruins, but as fun as those places were, they weren't really... vacation type spots. Ruins were great, but it was hard to have a picnic and pay attention to his lover when he was constantly being distracted by maybes and what-ifs, not to mention the various pokemon. Although out here was almost as bad for that, seeing as he did rather love water-type pokemon. He just... already had a fair number of the ones that lived around here.

Karjan tossed a beach towel down and dropped his pack onto it before flopping down onto his side and grinning up at Nox, "So, going to let any of your fluffy pokemon out this time?" he teased a bit. Nox didn't really have water pokemon, and sand really was an annoyance to clean up.

Karjan, on the other hand, didn't have that same problem. Prota was already lurking out in the ocean, being a grouch and probably trying to bully any local wild pokemon into fighting with her. Several of his other, much younger pokemon, were splashing in the waves and poking around nearby. He figured he would limit himself to those who were more water-natured than anything else, and just enjoy some time with Nox while they entertained themselves.

Nox Korrik

((Sorry for this blah start XD I thought I had a good idea, and then my muse just fell over halfway through))
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 4/21/17, 06:41 pm
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

"That's because it's still a bit too chilly for most people to want to be out here. The weather is warming up some but the water temps are still cold." Nox pointed out. Not even he was planning on swimming. But spending some time lounging in the sand when it was warm enough and dragging Karjan along to the boardwalk at least once. He'd already bought a couple little things for Karjan's birthday and given them to him. This was just a nice little vacation for the two of them. There was, of course, something Nox wanted to talk to Karjan about but it wasn't particularly important. It could wait since Nox hadn't made any big decisions about it yet. It was just...something he'd been thinking about since his birthday.

Nox set his own towel and bag down and settled in, leaning back on his hands and looking out across the water. He vaguely wondered if there might be a Sharpedo out there but today wasn't about finding new pokemon for either of them. It was about...well...them. Nox gave Karjan the look his question deserved even as he reached for a single pokeball. "Are you going to brush the sand out of their fur?" He questioned, releasing his Frogadier and the only water pokemon he owned. He didn't give Karjan much time to respond before shaking his head. "No, no I'm not. I learned that lesson the last time." Last time he'd let his pokemon out at the beach he'd spent hours brushing and washing sand and seawater from their fur. Never again. Not unless he had no choice but to call on one of them.

Karjan Amahel
(It's fine. Do we have any idea what we want to do here except to have them hang out at the beach and be lazy bums? The 'thing' Nox wants to talk about is whether or not he should try to become a Pokemon Ranger (hence the 'it's not particularly important to talk about right now' thoughts Nox had. Other than that, I've got no ideas. xD)
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 4/23/17, 05:34 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

"Pansy," Karjan teased Nox lightly, as he propped his head up with one hand and smirked at his lover. "Letting a bit of chill get in the way of splashing in the waves." Not that he was particularly planning on getting out there either, though wandering around the tidal zone looking for seashells was something he might do a bit later.

Karjan smirked a bit at the look Nox gave him, then flopped onto his back and crossed his arms behind his head. "But they had so much fun! Until you attacked them with the brushes and forced them to shower. That they really didn't enjoy," Karjan replied with amusement, before sinking into silence a bit and staring up at the clear sky. There were a few clouds out, big white puffy things that were slowly drifting across the sky, but nothing that really stood out to him.

"I think... I like it here," Karjan said, not moving from staring up at the sky. He'd been considering this for the past few months, wondering at why he hadn't yet decided to move on. Part of it, of course, was Nox and the relationship he was slowly building with his friend, but even Nox's friendship hadn't really fixed things when they were children. "It's peaceful, and there's a lot to do but it's not... overwhelming."

He shrugged a bit, then glanced at Nox out of the corner of his eye, wondering how the other would take his words. He hadn't really spoken much about leaving or staying in all the months he'd been here, and he had to wonder if Nox had been watching him for any of the signs of restlessness that he had often shown when they were younger. So far though, he hadn't really felt an urge to leave yet, which was... interesting.

Nox Korrik

((Nope, I don't really have any plans either, whoops ^^;; ))
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 4/24/17, 10:02 pm
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

"When you decide to go swimming then you can call me that. Not before." Nox responded with a smirk. He highly doubted Karjan would do more than wade the tide pools (which Nox would also do) so calling him a pansy for not wanting to swim was just rude! As karjan laid back, Nox was tempted to invade his blanket and snuggle up to his lover. But they were in a public place and should probably behave...mostly. "Some of them were okay with the brushing. You know Iskra loved being brushed....the washing up she wasn't fond of though." They had enjoyed playing in the sand and water and Nox really did feel a little bit bad that he wasn't going to let them enjoy their time at the beach. But only a little because then he recalled how pissy some of them were when it came time for cleaning up.

The silence that developed between them for a moment wasn't the awkward kind that meant people didn't know what to say. It was just...a moment of quiet reflection with each of them lost in their own thoughts. When Karjan spoke again, Nox couldn't help but wonder what variation of 'here' he meant. Here as in...here at the beach? Or 'here' as in the region as a whole? Or just 'here' as in this particular spot on the beach where they could listen to the wind on the sand and watch the ocean? He didn't ask. Ultimately, it didn't really matter or change much of anything. "Me too." He agreed, turning so he could watch Karjan curiously. What had brought this on? Was it his way of saying he was thinking of leaving but that he'd return some day? It didn't feel like it but with Karjan it was hard to say sometimes. Still, any time Karjan had felt the need to travel somewhere, it had been somewhere in the region. He'd never suggested leaving Eden. He wasn't sure what it meant but he would enjoy it while it lasted.

With the mood so relaxed and deciding now was as good a time as any to bring it up, Nox rolled to his side and propped his head up on his elbow. "I've been thinking about what your dad said when they were in town. About finding a different job. I never really expected to work at the cafe forever, but I also didn't know what else I wanted to do." And with spending time traveling alongside Karjan being a factor, he was limited in his options. "I think I found something your dad will approve of and that will allow me to still travel with you without needing to take time off." He added, not sure what his lover might think of what he was considering. Being a pokemon ranger could be dangerous.

Karjan Amahel
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 4/29/17, 05:55 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

"Maybe I will, just to be contrary," Karjan told Nox with amusement. It was a bit unlikely that he actually would, given how early in the year it was. And even if he did, he would likely end up clinging to Nox from the chill. "Iskra always enjoys being brushed," he agreed. Most of his own were fine with being brushed as well, but most of them rather loathed being bathed, which they had definitely needed after all the romping around they had done in the sand.

He hummed in acknowledgement when Nox agreed with his words, but didn't move from staring up at the sky. Karjan could feel Nox's gaze on him, but didn't feel any need to turn to look any more than his brief glance as he had spoken. He was feeling amazingly content right where he was, and Nox seemed to have taken his words well, no matter how ambiguous they had been. Karjan would likely never speak of staying in an area permanently, unwilling to jinx whatever calm had settled over him, but if this was where he ended up, he thought he could be content with that.

When Nox rolled over onto his side and started speaking again, Karjan brought his attention back down from the sky and turned his head to look over at the other. The thought that Nox's choice might be 'Evran approved' earned Nox a slight narrowing of Karjan's eyes, but other than that he didn't react. The man had earned a bit of leeway with the way he had reacted to them, but that wasn't enough to really sweeten Karjan to him. "And what would this job be?" there were very few things he could think of that would fit those criteria, and most of those things were inherently dangerous. Not that Karjan's own profession was hazard free, or that he thought Nox couldn't take care of himself, but he was certainly capable of being worried about Nox.

Nox Korrik
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 5/3/17, 08:30 am
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Nox rolled his eyes at Karjan's comment. "Mhm. I'll believe it when I see it." And then refuse to cuddle until Karjan was in dry clothes. He'd happily snuggle up and keep Karjan warm but no way was he going to do it while the other was still soaked from his swim! "Yep, but she hates water. As a fire type it's only natural but doesn't make bathing her any easier." Koira and Cadell hadn't been easy to bathe either but he'd managed in the end.

Though Nox wasn't going to ruin the contentment they both shared with where they were in life by poking at Karjan's apparent desire to stick around awhile, he also knew he needed to broach the subject of his career change sooner or later. And now seemed like as good a time as any. As soon as he mentioned Evran he wondered if that had been the best idea but...well... it had been the man's words that had really started him thinking about this. He doubted Evran would ever truly warm to him, but being able to earn at least a little respect would be nice. "Don't give me that look. Is it too much to ask that I get some measure of respect and approval from him since I can't get that much from my own father?" And that still stung quite a bit more than he tended to let on. He still hadn't heard anything from his father and the longer it took, the more Nox was certain he never would.

Of course, he first needed to gain approval from Karjan before he worried about anyone else knowing and approving of his choice. He could tell by the look on Karjan's face he'd come up with the very same short list Nox had and he wasn't thrilled about his options. "Before I got into so much trouble....I'd considered signing up to be a pokemon ranger. I guess...I'd thought if I did something great with my life my dad would be able to overlook everything else and just be proud of me. I never did and well...you know the rest of that story." He said, shifting so that he was looking at the ocean and not at Karjan. "I've given it a lot of thought and I've realized it wasn't just about getting approval from my dad. I want to do something good with my life I just never gave myself the chance. Now I have a chance and I want to take it. I think, if you're okay with it, I'm going to sign on for the next course of training at the Ranger Academy." He glanced at Karjan to try and gauge his reaction, not sure what his lover might think.

Karjan Amahel
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 5/3/17, 07:45 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Karjan gave a short laugh and shrugged, "Yeah, fair enough." It really was an unlikely chance that he'd want to. He liked ice pokemon, and didn't really care too much about the temperature, but even he had limits at times. "Too bad there isn't an easier way, rather than needing to drench them," Karjan mused. He really couldn't think of a better way to clean their pokemon, though.

He paused a moment when Nox spoke up again, asking if it was too much to want to get approval and respect from at least one father figure in Nox's life. Reluctantly, Karjan gave a small nod of acceptance; he'd long lost the desire for acknowledgment from Evran or Theanna, but... he supposed that wasn't a common thing. "I... no, it's alright. I can't help my reaction to him, but... he was surprisingly accepting of us."

Karjan listened to Nox's words, restraining his reactions to the suggestion in order to mull it over properly. It was obvious to him that Nox had put a lot of thought into this, and Karjan didn't want to just reject it out of hand simply because it could be dangerous. Ruin exploring was dangerous, and Nox didn't keep him from doing it, so he had no right to restrict Nox because of that reason either.

Sitting up on the towel, Karjan drew a leg up to his chest in order to lean on it. He watched Nox as the other continued to speak and stare out at the ocean. "Go for it. This is something you want, and... you've always supported and gone along with everything I want," Karjan said slowly, when Nox turned to look at him. He chewed on the corner of his lip for a moment, then continued, "Just... be as safe as you can. I would... rather not lose you." He would miss Nox while the other was off training, but it wouldn't be forever. And Nox would be able to spend more time with him afterwards, even if he did need to go around and do official things as well.

Nox Korrik
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 5/6/17, 08:51 pm
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Nox hummed in agreement as Karjan mentioned there being an easier way to clean up their pokemon if they got all dirty. "If you figure it out let me know, will ya?" He questioned. There wasn't much else to say on the matter so he let it drop. As for Karjan's parents, Nox still wasn't entirely certain how he felt about them but they had been surprisingly supportive. It was only right that Nox at least try and be nice to them. "Yeah. I know how you feel. But given that he could have taken my dad's side...I kinda feel like I owe it to him to at least try and be nice."

He could tell Karjan wasn't entirely happy with his choice but didn't say anything. He seemed to be mulling things over so Nox stayed silent. When he finally did give a reply, Nox gave him a surprised look. "That's...not exactly the answer I was expecting. I thought you'd try and talk me out of it." He admitted, though he knew he'd never have agreed to give up on this choice. But the only thing Karjan asked was that he be careful. "I will. I'm not going to put myself into unnecessary danger. I have a life I love to look forward to. And someone to come home to every night. I'm not going to risk that by being careless." He knew full well he couldn't promise to never be in danger, but he could avoid risky situations whenever possible.

Karjan Amahel
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 5/11/17, 07:40 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Karjan nodded in agreement. Whatever else Evran was, prejudiced against this sort of relationship apparently wasn't part of it. "That's... that's true. Just don't expect me to suddenly like him." Maybe when he was older -- and if Evran stopped treating him like a wayward child -- he could form some sort of relationship with the man that wasn't acrimonious, but for right now Karjan would rather not speak with the man.

Nox's surprise made Karjan huff softly under his breath; did he really seem like the sort that would try to wrap the other in bubblewrap to keep Nox safe? "I may not entirely like the idea of you being in danger, but I'm also honest enough to know that what I do isn't entirely safe either. It would be hypocritical of me to say you couldn't do it when I go out into potential danger all the time." Karjan rested his chin on his arm and considered Nox for a moment as his lover spoke about having someone to come home to, then made an agreeing noise, "Just so long as you remember that."

Nox Korrik
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 5/23/17, 02:30 pm
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Nox chuckled at Karjan's words, shifting to lean against him and kiss his cheek. "I never expected that. I know how you feel about him and I know your opinion of him isn't going to change overnight." Given time, perhaps, things between Karjan and his father might change. But it wasn't something Nox was going to try and force to happen either. If it did, it did and if it didn't, it didn't. Forcing it was only going to make things worse and likely end up with them mad at Nox as well.

Karjan's mild offense at Nox's words made him laugh and he shrugged. "It would be hypocritical of you, yes. But people have found far less to be hypocritical over than their partner going out and getting a job that could put them in potential danger, regardless of the danger they themselves might be in in their own work. It's only natural that people want to make sure the ones they care about are safe." If it was Lajira wanting to go out and be a pokemon ranger, they'd probably both be telling her it was a terrible idea and she should just worry about running her shop. "Of course. But you remember it too. I don't want to lose you again."

Karjan Amahel
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 5/27/17, 09:11 am
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Karjan huffed a bit, then shifted in order to kiss Nox properly. "Good, just so long as you remember that. I will try not to be antagonistic, but..." Karjan shrugged a bit. He'd never precisely been the best at dealing with his parents with any manner of civility -- ignoring them was usually the best he could do, which only made matters worse in some cases.

"Well people are stupid," Karjan said bluntly. "Wanting to make sure you're safe doesn't mean I should police everything you do." That just seemed counterproductive to him anyway. He knew exactly how it felt to be policed like that, or told he shouldn't do something, and really had no interest in following in his parents' footsteps regarding those things. At Nox's admonishment to be safe as well, Karjan smiled a bit. "I'll do my best."

Nox Korrik
PM   
^
Nox Korrik
 Posted: 6/12/17, 02:53 pm
Sev
234 posts
Pokémon Trainer

As karjan shifted, Nox smiled and was only too happy to give a proper kiss instead of the peck on the cheek he'd originally been planning on. "That's all I ask." He knew Karjan wouldn't intentionally start a fight with his parents. In fact he wouldn't ever speak to them if he could avoid it. Not snapping at them when they were being irritating? Anyone would struggle not to snap back when their parents were being dumb about things. Considering they lived in a completely different region, however, he doubted they'd have to deal with them too often which was fine by him.

Nox hmm'd in agreement to Karjan's statement. "People can be stupid about a lot of things, that's for sure." He said, opting not to discreetly point out that what Karjan liked to point out as 'people being stupid' was often more 'people trying to do what they thought was best for those they cared about'. Like Karjan's parents for example. They wanted him to have a successful career that could support a family. But in wanting to ensure that he could live and support himself on his own they seemed to have forgotten about wanting him to be happy with his life as well as being successful. They didn't understand his passion and they failed to see that he was happy with what he had. But...maybe their relationship would put some of that to rest. Only time would tell but Nox was hoping they might let up on pushing Karjan to find a 'normal' job and settle down.

Nox let out an amused laugh at Karjan's agreement that he'd 'do his best'. "Do your best to what? Remember you have someone in your life who loves you and would miss you terribly if you died or to be safe while you're out burrowing into ruins and caves?" He questioned, tone light and teasing. "So, since this is your birthday vacation what do you want to do? Laying on the beach all day is all good and everything but I think it'd get boring after awhile. We could go to the boardwalk or have a mock battle or something." Really he just wanted both of them to enjoy their mini-vacation so whatever Karjan felt like doing was fine by him.

Karjan Amahel
PM   
^
Karjan Amahel
 Posted: 6/12/17, 07:30 pm
Karjan
170 posts
Pokémon Trainer

Karjan gave a happy hum at the kiss, content to let that be the end of their discussion of his parents. He would need to keep in mind his promise, but he had gotten better about just walking away from situations as he grew up. So as long as his parents didn't actively pursue him, he was pretty confident he could keep that promise without too much trouble.

"They can. I don't understand it," Karjan muttered, as he ran a hand through his hair, pulling strands free of his ponytail in the process. He'd given up trying to understand the whys behind how people acted a long time ago. It just didn't make sense to him, how people tried to control others around them; if they were just expressing worry, he thought he could understand -- he was worried about the dangers involved in being a Ranger, after all -- but there was a difference between saying 'I fear because of this' and how his own parents tended to act. Trying to tell him he couldn't or shouldn't because of inane reasons, or because they didn't like his decisions just didn't make sense.

"Yes?" Karjan responded with a laugh of his own. "All of the above." Because he would. And tried to, even if it was a work in progress still. At Nox's next question, Karjan hummed a bit and considered the beach in front of them. What did he want to do..? "I'm not feeling like people just yet, so... a short battle, maybe? Two pokemon max, and maybe ones without too much experience?"

Nox Korrik
PM   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options    Reply   New Topic   

RPG-D  FF:Adventu PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay
Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Pokemon: Terrene