paradise • a pokémon adventure
cbox

welcome

Established in July 2014, Paradise is a pokémon role-play community that’s all about getting back to the basics. With a simplified training system, we focus more on writing than grinding for levels. Join us today and begin your adventure in the Eden region!

information

Getting Started Setting Information Trainer Classes Game Mechanics Field Guide Eden League Rules & FAQ

updates

December 25 – Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all those celebrating! There's been an update regarding the open gym and elite positions, so please check out this thread if you think you might be interested in applying for a spot! Here's wishing you all a happy new year~!

shortcuts

Training Log Wild Encounters Breeding Records Adoption Center Face Claims Player Directory Open Threads

Reply   New Topic   

Seeking Shelter, [Closed for Lisbeth]
Lex Montgomery
 Posted: 11/9/17, 03:07 pm
Lisa
53 posts
Nightshade

The sound of his boots pounding the gravel trail echoed through the trees and he sprint down the side of the mountain. The run in with the ranger had not gone according to plan. Lex was hoping for an easy elbow to the nose that would preoccupy the ranger and allow him to easily slip away with the Rockruff. Instead, the two got into a fist fight that ended up with a bullet in the ranger's shoulder and Lex bruised and bloody. His boss would be pissed about it, but not for long. Regardless of how the fight went, he managed to slip away with the Rockruff anyway.

Now, he just needed to get the hell off this mountain before that ranger could call for back up. Dark storm clouds were rushing in, convenient giving his circumstances. The last thing he needed right now was a thunder storm. Zhaan, his Lucario, was still fainted inside her pokéball. She had fought valiantly and even sacrificed herself to save Lex from that last attack. She deserved some serious spoiling the next few days. On the bright side, she was definitely growing stronger.

Before he was even halfway down, the rain came. Thick, heavy droplets of rain began to fall, slowly at first, then picking up frequency. "Damn it." he cursed, and slowed to a stop. He was out of breath, and his chest hurt from his wrestling match. His head was pounding, hell everything hurt. Realizing he most definitely wasn't going to make it back to his car before the storm hit, he began to search the area for a place to seek shelter. Not a single one of the pokémon he had on him could fly or shield him from the rain. He'd have to find a cave or a thick tree for now.

He lifted his leather jacket over his head as the rain began to pour. He hurried around a bend in the trail and a white building up ahead caught his attention. That's odd, I didn't see this on the way up? he thought, but remembered he wasn't coming down the way he came. He was in a hurry, and the adrenaline pumping through his veins after his fight clouded his sense of direction. He didn't care which route he took to the bottom, as long as he made it there as fast as possible. Deciding it was his best option for now, Lex followed the trail to the white building and hurried inside the front door.

As he stepped in, he pulled his jacket from over his head and shoot off the excess rain water. He wiped his boots on the floor mat at the door and looked around. It was a laboratory of some kind. Walls of bookshelves surrounded several desks covered by scattered papers and books. The lights were dim, as if a few bulbs here and there had gone out but the owners were too busy to replace. Some machines Lex had never seen before stood behind a counter in what seemed like a testing area. As he looked around, he caught sight of a young blonde attempting to clean up one of the desks.

Before he could say anything, she was rushing over to greet him. "Hello! How can I help you?" her high-pitched voice spoke. Lex realized he probably looked like a mess right now, between being soaked by the rain and the scrapes and bruises on his face. He attempted a smile regardless. "Hi. Would you mind if I waited here for this storm to pass?" he asked. He decided it was best to leave out the part about him currently on the run from a ranger he just shot and stole a pokémon from.

There was a chair nearby, he hoped she wouldn't mind if he took a seat and rested. "I won't cause any trouble. I'm just exhausted. I slipped and fell on the rocks earlier, and a battle left my Lucario fainted... I just need a place to rest until the rain stops and I can head home." he explained, in his best desperate voice. The girl looked worried, and before she could say anything he took a seat anyway, hoping to look weaker than he really was. He rubbed his forehead, suggesting he had a headache. He really hoped the girl would let him stay.

Lisbeth Dwyer
(Hope this is okay! If I need to add anything let me know. I figured the assistant could help him or just leave him there, then maybe either Lisbeth comes to greet him or Lex gets curious and starts walking around... whatever you think!~)
PM   
^
Lysbeth Dwyer
 Posted: 11/13/17, 01:40 pm
Sophie
15 posts
Gym Leader

A storm brewed on the cold horizon, promising nothing more than a veritable and torrential downpour. The sky once a peaceful blue had blackened into a thick blanket of darkness overcasting the lab in shadow. Inside the lab sat Verity – sighing at the scattered mess only dimly lit by the few remaining bulbs. Books lay in piles all over the place or just left scattered and forgotten and a thick later of dust had overcome most of the tabletops, bookcases and sideboards. The only part of the lab that seemed clear and clean was Verity’s desk in the far corner, under the tall rectangular window.

As the rain poured against the window without any likelihood of stopping any time soon, Verity found herself trying to pass the time. Which of course meant ‘spring cleaning’, she lay sprawned across one of the reading tables filled by a mass of novels with long difficult titles trying to rid it of the thick dust layer that had gathered across the surface. After an hour of hard, tedious work, Verity looked up from her work. She thought she had heard the bell ringing but it was difficult to tell over the storm. A voice emanated out from behind the book fortress, a voice asking if they could stay til the storm passed. A male voice?

The voice continued to speak, explaining their predicament and how they had ended up in the middle of a storm. Thanks to the teetering piles of books, Verity found herself unable to get a good view of whoever was talking. “W-w-w-who is there, please?” she stuttered, jumping up from the table – only to knock over the nearest pile of books in her haste.

Readjusting her glasses which had begun to droop down her bridge of her nose, Verity moved the remaining books so clear her view. In her hurry to do so, she accidentally sent more of the old books skidding across the floor whilst almost slipping on another.

Blushing a beetroot red of embarrassment, Verity let out a low stutter, “Is there something I can help you with today?” It took this long for her to notice the blood stains, the soaked-through clothes as well as an impressive array of bruises and cuts. She took several large steps back until she was pressed against the wall with a mix of shock and panic clearly visible across her face. “Lysbeth, Lysbeth, Lysbeth! Lysbeeeeeth!”

After a minute, Lysbeth stomped out from a door on the left of the lab, her face screwed up in annoyance. “What is it NOW! I’m busy,” she snapped, grumpily. Without saying a word, Verity pointed at the stranger standing dripping in the middle of the lab.

Aria Wolfe
PM   
^
Lex Montgomery
 Posted: 11/17/17, 09:46 pm
Lisa
53 posts
Nightshade

The girl seemed pretty panicked after looking him over. Lex held up both of his hands in a very "I'm innocent I swear" way. He remembered he probably looked pretty rough, between the scrapes and bruises and soaking wet clothes. "Oh! My apologies. I took a tumble on the trail on my way here. A rather rough bush disagreed with me." he said, with a sincere laugh. Sure, that was a bold-faced lie, and the bruises wouldn't match his story, but unless this girl had experience in the medical field she most likely wouldn't notice the difference. He hoped his explanation would clear up some of the concern.

Instead, she called out a name several times before a second woman appeared from a door towards the back. Lisbeth was her name. She was much shorter than he was, by almost an entire foot. She had dark black hair and striking red eyes. She had a slight tomboy-ish demeanor, but Lex wouldn't make that assumption without getting to know her first. He offered her a gentle smile. He'd have to fake some real genuine friendliness if they were going to allow him to stay until the storm passed. "Hello! My name is L- er... Jason. Jason Alexander. Nice to meet you." he said, a twinkle in his eyes.

The young woman was clearly bothered from being interrupted. She practically yelled at the girl, whom Lex now realized was her assistant. The girl, still startled, pointed at Lex without saying a word. He watched as the dark-haired woman studied him closely. Lex felt he needed to explain his appearance once more, so he did. He added that the storm caught him off guard, and once again asked as politely as possible if he could stay inside for a while. "I won't bother anyone, promise." he insisted, and kept his position at the doorway. He didn't want to appear any more threatening than he already did, plus he didn't want to drip water anywhere else.

Lysbeth Dwyer
(Hope this is okay! No rush on the reply~)
PM   
^
Lysbeth Dwyer
 Posted: 11/23/17, 06:36 pm
Sophie
15 posts
Gym Leader

Lysbeth’s anger seemed to dissipate for the moment as she followed Verity’s outstretched finger point across the room. Turning Lysbeth caught sight of whom her faithful assistant was staring at, quite startled and clearly panicked. A soaked to the skin, trim and rather muscular guy stood in the lab’s entrance. Within two seconds, she had looked him up and down and come to her conclusion.
“Verity,” she said, coldly. The blond-haired assistant stood up from her desk, waiting for the order to throw him out which usually came in situations like this. “Get him a towel and quickly,” Lysbeth said, before turning away.

The order came as a shock as Verity had already stood and had begun to shepherd the guy out of the hallway with a soft muttering of “D-d-don’t be problematic!” However, the actual order made her freeze and release the boy’s arm from her grip. “Okay. I’m sorry, please wait a second.”
Without any delay, Verity ran over to a cupboard on the other side of the room and began to shuffle around the mess within. A scattering of spare clothes, raincoats, umbrellas, sheets, pillowcases and other assorted linens lay on the three wooden shelves. Mostly in disorder, except for the small section that Verity had already attempted to clean.

Picking up one of the least pink and fluffy towels, she ran back to the boy who had introduced himself by that point as Jason Alexander. Just as she was about to reach him with the towel, Verity tripped on the thin desk legs and fell face first into the laboratory floor. This caused a lot of yapping from a small puppy Pokémon that ran under the desks and towards her master as it barked and nuzzled simultaneously. “I-I-I’m sorry. Please forgive my…”

Whatever she was going to say was cut short as Verity ran from the room with her face beaming scarlet with the Lillipup following close behind. After a moment, Lysbeth moved forward, picking the towel up and handing it roughly to Jason. “Here. You better dry off. You might catch your death...”
She was trying to hide her frustrations but it wasn’t going too well. Lysbeth’s face was glowing almost as red as Verity’s had, seconds before. “Why would you even be out in a rainstorm, anyway. Are you dense,” she growled, angrily as her fury broke through.

Aria Wolfe
PM   
^
Lex Montgomery
 Posted: 12/1/17, 01:25 pm
Lisa
53 posts
Nightshade

(OOC: Bwahahaha! Oh man, Lysbeth is hilarious and they're going to get along just fine XD Love it!)

A lot happened all at once just then. There were some exchanging of nervous glances before the blonde, assumed to be Lysbeth's assistant, began to usher him out. She gently grabbed his arm and had begun to lead him out the door when Lysbeth's voice gave her a different order. She asked that a towel be brought to him. It was almost comical, the way the assistant grew so flustered that she hurried to the cabinet and almost toppled over what was inside in an attempt to retrieve a towel. Then, on her way back, she tripped and fell. Lex was not surprised, given the state of the place and how cluttered it was. However, he felt bad for the girl.

The assistant hurried away, embarrassed. Lysbeth stepped over and picked up the towel, handing it to Lex. He took it happily and immediately pressed the soft fabric to his face. Even just drying his face and neck made him feel better already. What she said next though made him freeze. “Why would you even be out in a rainstorm, anyway. Are you dense?" she had asked, and the annoyance in her voice was hardly kept hidden. He blinked a few times as his brain worked through those words and formed a response. Lex laughed.

"You're a feisty one, aren't ya?" he began, flashing her a smooth grin, "I had planned to be home hours ago, not get stuck in the rain. Thanks for the towel." he said simply, and held out the damp towel for her to take back. He took this moment to study her appearance. Perhaps she was the owner of this laboratory? At least, that's what he assumed this place to be, he wasn't sure with all of the clutter. He decided he'd find out, and held out his now dry hand for a handshake. "Do you run this place? What is this place, anyway?" he asked.

Lysbeth Dwyer
PM   
^
Lysbeth Dwyer
 Posted: 12/31/17, 05:52 pm
Sophie
15 posts
Gym Leader

Lysbeth frowned at the boy as he dried himself. Even calling him dense seemed to not at all bother nor phase him – instead, he merely laughed it off as if it was some kind of joke. The boy began to explain that he hadn’t meant to be out in the rain all this time, but Lysbeth was still capable of putting two and two together. “You weren’t out causing trouble, were you?” Her eyes became razor thin as she glared down his still rain swept body.

However, his following question seemed to take her mind away from her accusations. “Yeah, this is my laboratory. As you probably figured… I’m Lysbeth and I run the place. That-- ” she said, nodding towards Verity who hid red-faced at her desk. “That is my assistant, Verity.” At the sound of her name, she looked up and gave a half smile before slamming her head back onto the hardwood of her desk, causing the books and papers upon it to topple like a leaning tower.

Lysbeth ignored this and plowed on. With a sweep of her arm, she turned on the spot and said, “We study ancient Pokémon, basically. How they may have looked, diets, how they might have lived and acted, predators, etcetera, etcetera.”

“Do you want a drink or something? Something warm? Cocoa?” She offered, as Verity stood quickly and rushed over – suddenly blushing an even more vigorous cherry red color. “Oh, a-allow me! What can I get you… Jason, was it?”

Lex Montgomery
PM   
^
Lex Montgomery
 Posted: 1/3/18, 11:11 am
Lisa
53 posts
Nightshade

The dark-haired woman questioned him, implying that he had been out causing trouble. Internally, Lex laughed. Of course he was out causing trouble, that was his job. She didn't need to know that, though. In fact, he'd use the same cover-up excuse he used with everyone that questioned his intentions. "Quite the opposite actually. I was on patrol." he answered, and very subtly lifted up the right side of his jacket to reveal a gun holster. "I work undercover for the EPD (Eden Police Department)." He chose to leave it at that. The more details people heard the more likely they'd catch that his story was fake.

The woman did in fact introduce herself as Lysbeth. Her seemingly train-wreck of an assistant was named Verity. They were quite the unusual pair, but Lex found them charming in their own ways. Or was it amusing? A loud thud echoed through the room when Verity slammed her head against her desk. Lex's eyes widened, a little surprised, as that had to hurt. Lysbeth's voice broke the silence that followed, when she offered him something to drink.

Verity rushed over, practically tripping over herself as she approached. "What can I get you?" she asked. Lex blinked a few times, working through what had just happened. Something warm to drink did sound pretty good right now. "Uh, yes. I'm Jason. And a hot cocoa sounds like just what I need, thank you." he answered. He then braced himself for whatever chaos was about to happen when the assistant left them.

He grinned slightly, holding back a laugh. "Ancient Pokémon, huh? That must be interesting..." he continued. Suddenly, a million ideas flashed through his mind. His boss was always assigning him to jobs that required retrieving rare or interesting Pokémon. His boss might be very interested in this place, especially if Miss Lysbeth here has any rare Pokémon around. However, the angel on his other shoulder suggested he leave this place be. They have been nothing but kind to him so far, and did not deserve any sort of disturbance.

The path Lex had chosen for himself was still quite unclear, even to him. Was he a Nightshade Operative? Yes. However, he refused jobs that required harming or stealing from innocent people (most of the time, anyway). If possible, he only stole from rich snobs. Occasionally, like today, he was forced to steal from an unsuspecting stranger, and Lex would be lying if he said he didn't feel guilty about it. Lex used to be a police officer, after all. He still held on to his sense of right and wrong. He was just exploring the grey area right now. With his past, who could blame him? Although, there was still a spark of an idea in the back of his mind that someday he'd take down Nightshade from the inside, all by himself. He'd be a hero.

All of these thoughts were rushing around in his mind as he stared blankly at Lysbeth, waiting for her to speak. "Sorry, I spaced off for a minute there. Please, don't let me interrupt your work, I'm sure whatever you were working on was quite important." he said, looking for a place to sit down. Once the rain let up, he'd be on his way. If she wanted to chat more, he'd certainly allow it. He was rather curious about the place. On the other hand, maybe it was best he didn't learn anything about it that might hold value to his boss.

Lysbeth Dwyer
(Hope it's okay! Let me know if I need to change anything!~)
PM   
^
Lysbeth Dwyer
 Posted: 1/6/18, 03:03 pm
Sophie
15 posts
Gym Leader

As Verity zoomed away into a kitchen in a back room, Lysbeth stepped forward with her head slightly tilted to the left. “EPD, huh. That’s nice. Just keep that thing away from…” she smirked, looking from the holster to nod her head towards the kitchen. The boy began to say that he shouldn’t allow her to interrupt whatever work, she was doing. Lysbeth smiled, however, seemingly suddenly more interested in her guest. Not letting her eyes drift from the stranger, she moved over to the opposite wall – placing her hand on a wall panel, causing the door behind her to open slowly with a “whooshing” sort of noise.

At this point, Verity returned holding a steaming cup of cocoa. Across her cheeks lay an outline of a handprint of chocolate, hinting at the likely devastation in the kitchen. Lysbeth let out an odd gasp, her eyes growing wide as she watched the door open. “Are you sure, Lysbeth. Isn’t it…you know...confidential?”

Lysbeth shook her head and simply said, “Well. I think he can be trusted. Don’t you?” Verity blanched and almost tripped over her own feet, causing the liquid in the cup to jump up into the air. “O-o-okay, yes. That’s true and fine. Yes...” she said, very quickly. Without a further word, Verity walked over to the boy – held out the cup for him to take and as soon as he had – ran away back into the kitchen.

“Right. Anyway,” Lysbeth said, looking behind her into the secret room. It was a tight, circular room, almost like a tower. It was almost rather empty except for one item in the center of the tower. A glass tube that ran from the ceiling to the floor with a mess of wires running beneath it. “This is my… masterpiece. My chef-d'oeuvre as it were.” Between the panes of glass lay a curious creature floating in a clear liquid. A small, sky-blue colored tentacled creature with a shell hiding a majority of its body from view. “A true fossil Pokémon restored to life,” Lysbeth muttered in a state of loving enjoyment. She had been unable to mention her creation to anyone other than Verity, due to the rarity of the Pokémon and how much it could be worth.

She turned to look at the boy interested in his opinion. “What do you think, then?”

Lex Montgomery
PM   
^
Lex Montgomery
 Posted: 1/8/18, 02:05 pm
Lisa
53 posts
Nightshade

The woman did not push the issue or ask any other questions. At his comment about interrupting her work, she smiled. It was the first time he had seen her smile since he arrived. She could have dismissed him and gone back to her work, and Lex would have been just fine with that. However, rather than saying anything, she stepped backwards and placed her hand on the wall behind her. He watched closely, curious.

Verity entered the picture again, with a steaming mug in her hands. Just as she approached, a hidden door in the wall opened. Lex's eyes widened. This laboratory was awesome! Even with his past on the police force he didn't notice any imperfections in that wall. "Wow!" he said, a wide grin spreading across his face. He barely took his eyes off the secret room, even as Verity handed him the mug. He took it and wrapped both hands around it, for it felt quite warm. The subtle scent of chocolate rose up as he smelled it.

Lysbeth showed him inside. It was a small room, but secret and well-hidden nonetheless. The ceiling of this room in particular was very tall, and although he didn't remember seeing a tower on the building as he approached, that didn't mean it wasn't there. He had been running in the storm, after all. In the center of the room, a long glass tube stretched from floor to ceiling. Lex suddenly felt like he was in one of those crazy science fiction movies involving aliens. As they grew closer, he could see a figure floating in the center of the tube, suspended in liquid.

After a moment of awe and wonder, Lex finally turned to Lysbeth for answers. She was already on it. She explained that this project was her masterpiece. She had successfully restored to life an ancient pokémon via its fossil. The small, round-shelled pokémon had short, blue tentacles and beady black eyes. Lex stepped closer, giving it a thorough look-over. It was quite fascinating.

"What do you think?" she asked, her voice breaking the silence and his concentration. "It... It's extremely impressive." he answered, leaving it at that for the moment. This laboratory and Lysbeth were the real thing. He was staring into the eyes of an ancient pokémon. Part of him wondered what his boss would say to him if he found out. Would he find out? Lex wasn't sure. Exposing this secret would ruin Lysbeth's work and progress. Did he really want to do that?

He didn't. He was almost positive. It was clear that Lysbeth trusted him, even as a complete stranger. His "undercover" cover-up typically earned trust from people that he truly didn't deserve. That was the point. It allowed him to easily take advantage of the people in question. This was just another example. Lysbeth chose to trust him and opened up one of her most valuable secrets to him. Normally, he'd use this to take advantage of her, but... something about this place appealed to him.

"This is amazing, Lysbeth." he said, "I've never seen anything like it." He circled the glass tube in the center of the room to see the pokémon from all angles. With a wide grin, he stepped back over to her. "Thank you for sharing it with me. What are your plans with it? Him? Her?" he asked. He was curious of her intentions. Was she going to treat this ancient pokémon with respect? Treat it like one of her own? Or was it merely a science project to her? Perhaps he might swing his opinion the other way if that were the case...

Lysbeth Dwyer
PM   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options    Reply   New Topic   

RPG-D FF:Adventu PLEDGE -- a pokémon roleplay Pokemon: Forever Forgotten
Pokemon: Terrene Kaleidoscope